Here's what you'll need:
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 cup of salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons oil (I used canola. I wouldn't advise using olive oil)
- 2 cups of water
- 1+ tablespoons of food coloring
- Mix all the ingredients in a sauce pan adding the food coloring last. (I found that this worked best if I stirred everything up a bit before turning on the stove.) DO NOT PREHEAT!
- Heat over medium to medium low heat stirring constantly. This will get tough. Keep a partner on hand to switch off with.
- The play-doh will start coming off the side of the pan a little. Stir just a minute or so longer.
- Remove the play-doh from the pan and lay it on the wax paper to cool down enough to touch.
- Knead until smooth
- Once cooled seal in an airtight container or Ziploc bag.